Grab your Bunny Hops pattern here! On sale for a limited time!
Let's start this off by selecting our fabrics. This project has many smaller pieces that are great for scraps, so start by checking the scrap bin first. I went with a modern selection of Ruby Star Society and one focal print from Rae Ritchie. While picking out fabrics assign that fabric to a corresponding letter on the bunny.
For all of my materials, I have my Aurifil 50wt thread. I like this thread because the shed/ fray is low and I can be a bit tougher with it without it breaking. I have my trusty disappearing purple glue stick for basting. My super serious snips and size 10 milliners needle.
For the bunny I like to start up at the ears because they are quick and look super cute once done. Carefully separate the ears from the body and then separate the ear pieces. These are the fabrics I've assigned to the ears.
In the picture below I have my bunny pieces placed on the wrong side, but you can see two picture below the correct placement.
Baste those ear pieces. I use glue and often am heavy handed with the glue use but you want to aim for just the outside edge of your fabric.
Once all of the ear pieces are basted I like to find the easiest path to sew these pieces together before beginning. This means the path I can take while sewing without having to carry my thread over or the easiest way the pieces fit together.
For these ears I started at the top B piece, using the flat back stitch I attached it to the B piece below it. I then attached that piece to the C piece. Joining the C unit to D and then that unit to the A piece. Give that a good press and repeat for the other ear.
With the ears now done, I like to work one side at a time, using the other side as guide if I need to clarify which way the piece goes. For the bunny I sewed it up in smaller sections and then joined those two groups together. Giving everything a good press before moving on.
Repeat for the other side. Carefully join the two sides together. If the nose pieces (K &F) are not laying flat give it a good press. And finally attach the ear pieces. Once finished give everything a good press!
And there you have it. Easier and quicker than it looks!
If you're looking for a sharp Instagram picture keep those papers in! But once you're ready to move on carefully take out those paper pieces. If you were heavy handed on the glue use a warm iron to loosen the glue, making paper removal easier.
Tag your makes on Instagram with #BunnyHopsPatch
To celebrate ALL PDF"S are 15% off! Hop on over to the shop to grab your patterns before the sale ends!
About the pattern:: Moon Phases is a modern english paper pieced pattern that also includes traditional piecing. The pattern includes includes instructions for a baby quilt or for a table runner!
I've made my version into the quilt and added some hand quilting to bring it all together.
Let's jump into the pattern!
To start the fabric prep I used two coordinating Carolyn Friedlander fabrics for the moon and a speckled Ruby Star Society for the background.
It didn't take long for all of the moon pieces to come together. I used glue for basting and for thread I used Aurifil 50wt in cream. At this point I was pretty excited that the pattern was coming together so quickly!
After Epping all of my moon pieces I checked out several reference photos for my placement. After finding the correct version (ha!) I set to getting my moon pieces all in place. I used my ruler to get the moons even across but you could get it even more precise by folding your fabric in half and in thirds to find equal spacing from each other.
To attach my moons to background fabric I used a small zig zag stitch and Aurifil clear nylon thread. The thread is so clear that I have a hard time even telling its there! If you don't have clear thread on hand you can either do a needle turn appliqué or even use a thread that matches the fabric.
The quilt was just begging for some hand quilting with all of that open space! I used Aurifil Floss in color 4140, for that extra texture.
I did end up adding some stitches with my machine just to add some extra security. For that I used Aurifil 12 wt. The thread has an extra thickness and it really worked with this quilt! Throughout the whole quilt, I ended up using 4 different weights of thread for this quilt!
I can't wait to see your moons in the future!
Don't forget to tag your makes on Instagram with #MoonPhasesEPP
Grab your copy while its on sale!